Monday, September 3, 2012

Settling In

The past week was my first full work week.  I learned more of my routine- what time I need to get up to make it to work, getting to know coworkers and clients and how often I will see all of them, finding out about weekly or monthly meetings I will be attending.  There still seems like a LOT to learn, especially in terms of resources in the area for clients and how to best direct people.  I am trying to give myself some time although it is frustrating not to know all the information people need right away.

One small project I worked on was making the desk I inherited more like mine.  I got some pictures and memorable things to help it feel personal.  Some of you may see pictures of yourselves, plus things from my Kenya trip, and recently purchased items in California and Maine.  I also got a new desk chair which greatly improves the comfort level!



 The next big settling time will come with my move next weekend.  I've been staying with Teresa and will move in to my new apartment on Saturday.  The past 24 hours has been a lot of sorting through boxes and packing at my parents.  I am actually surprised how much stuff I have!  A lot of it has been in storage for my whole Uganda time or longer, so it has been interesting to see old photos or mementos. Here is a small portion of the items to be moved:


I've been thinking a lot about what I'll need for the new place.  I've never lived alone in the US so will need to buy or borrow some furniture and kitchen items along with other needed things like cleaning supplies and kitchen staples.  I went in the apartment one more time this week and have been wondering how to decorate and fill some of the spaces.  There is a great turret but I am trying to figure out what will fit there- a couch, round table, chair??  Lots to be decided as the move happens.

The turret area
This has been my first Labor Day off in a while and I have loved the 3 day weekend, despite lots of rain.  I am still doing a lot of adjusting and appreciating any down time for reflecting and transition.    Hopefully as more "settling" goes on, it will feel less like transition and more like normal life.

1 comment:

  1. lots of exciting goings on! Your new place looks full of great potential...

    ReplyDelete