Sunday, August 26, 2012

New routines

This week I started my new job and began figuring out what my life is going to look like for the coming weeks and months.  I started doing things that will surely become routine but are new to me right now.  Things like commuting to work, making my lunch in the morning for the day, talking with coworkers and clients, figuring out what meetings I should schedule or be at- along with many more things.  It takes a while for routine to develop and feel normal or second nature.  In one of the books we use with the students in Uganda, The Art of Coming Home by Craig Storti, he talks about how figuring out new routines can be exhausting and one of the reasons "coming home" is hard.  Things we expect to be easy in our own culture are not always familiar right away.  For example, I've missed a few turns going to and from work the past week and had to back track, but soon enough I'll be able to do it without thinking.  Storti talks about how developing routines can be tiring and I am finding that is true!  There is so much information to take in with work and being in a new place that my memory capacity seems lower for the small things.

So, I am figuring it out slowly.  This week I figured out another major step in finding a place to live.  I'll be living in Wilmington, DE and found an apartment I am excited about.  I'll be moving in two weeks from now and I'm sure it will be a huge part of feeling settled in to a normal life and routine!

My new place!
When I drive home from work the city of Wilmington comes in to view as I come over a hill and I think that is a part of my daily life I will enjoy.  This is not the exact view below, but pretty close (I borrowed this picture from Wikipedia):



I am looking forward to getting to know a new area and becoming more familiar with my work.  I just need to remember that will take some time and be patient.  This week I am going to work on making my office feel more "mine" and start thinking about what I will need for moving.  Small steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment