Sunday, March 25, 2012

For the love of visitors

In a few weeks I have a friend, Heather, coming to visit, which will almost certainly be my last visitor to Uganda. I have been very lucky to have several visits over my years here, which is especially appreciated because of the time, expense and commitment to get here!

Having visitors has been a highlight of my time here, because it has meant sharing my Uganda world with loved ones from the States. It has also meant getting to see or do something different with them, traveling somewhere I might not have otherwise gone. So here is a review of my visitors over the past 4 years- I tried to contain each visit to one picture but trust me there are a LOT more!
Visit #1: My parents came to visit a few months after I moved to Uganda, March 2008. We went on a safari to Murchison Falls and went chimp trekking. The above picture makes me laugh for several reasons, but partly because we are trekking away and didn't see any chimps! They were also here for my first Easter in Uganda.

Visit #2: In May 2009, my mom and sister came together and we visited Bulago Island on Lake Victoria. They also helped me move to my current house and we did some day trips together. I love the picture above!

Visit #3: For my 30th birthday in October 2009, my lovely friend Lisa came for a visit. As part of her visit we went to Ssese Islands, also on Lake Victoria, with Adeline. We also did some fun birthday celebrating.

Visit #4: For their spring break, Audrey and Duane came in March 2010. I appreciated their presence in the mid-semester and loved the break of seeing them. They went rafting, but I did not join them (once in a lifetime is enough!).

Visit #5: My friend Teresa came in May 2010 to climb Mount Elgon. I am not sure she knew what she was in for! But we felt very accomplished after completing the hike with our group. In this picture we are on day 2 of our 5 day trip.
Visit #6: My cousin, Erika, and her husband Henry visited in February 2011 before completing a work trip. I have actually seen Henry a few other times as he passed through on work-related trips! Henry and my mom tie for the most frequent visitors.
Visit #7: My final visit with both my parents was in April 2011. We went to Mihingo Lodge in Lake Mburo Park which was incredible. While we were there we did a walking safari to see the various animals, thus the picture above.

It was fun to even sort through pictures for this post and remember some of these visits. I am excited for one last visit and grateful for the ones above.

2 comments:

  1. We loved visiting you! We especially loved the monkey tree outside your home and the Ugandan dance show with stacks of clay pots on their heads! You're a great hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. boda boda. rolex. 6 lane highway on a 2 lane road. boda boda. monkey tree. nile river. boda boda. uganda. loved it there with you gwyn. next visit, santa barbara?

    ReplyDelete