Thursday, March 15, 2012

Moving: Step #1



One of the things I have been giving a lot of thought to lately is the actual logistics of moving from Uganda to the States. I have accumulated a fair amount of stuff while living here- books, movies, furniture, and decor. Luckily, most of the big furniture will stay for the person who replaces me, so I don't have the job of selling or shipping that. But thinking about the rest of the items, I know I won't take it all back to the States- some of it will go to better use in Uganda and some I won't have the room for.

So last weekend I had a preliminary moving sale of various items. Above you can see my living room stacked with books on the couches and movies on the table. I also gave away magazines for free and had some kitchen and house items for sale. I invited friends on campus to come and peruse the sale. I think I sold about half the stuff so now I am figuring out how to go forward from here. I am hoping to donate some books to a 2nd hand store in Kampala, drop some magazines at doctor's offices and maybe do a final low, low prices sale.

For the remaining items I am going to do a combination shipping, packing and sending with (generous) friends. At this point I don't have a great sense of how much stuff that is, 2-4 suitcases? Many more? I know I'll ship a painting and coffee table (below) that I love but will have to see if any other big items end up in that category.

Having the moving sale made it all seem very official, and the realness of packing and moving will be here soon. I have some travel coming up- Lira this weekend, Rwanda (maybe twice) and debrief in the next 7 weeks, which always makes things go quickly. I am hoping getting an early start on moving will make it more manageable come June.

No comments:

Post a Comment