Friday, March 2, 2012

The Beginning of the Lasts


Now that it is March and today marks 2 more months for students and 3 more months for me in Uganda, it feels like the end is coming quickly. I have started having some "lasts"- my last rural home stays, my last weekend in Sipi, my last waterfall hike (see picture below) and planning a last dinner with American friends who leave this month. I think these moments will start to pile up and it will be hard to appreciate all the last things. Also, life is still moving along with regular work and routine responsibilities so I can't be in the "last" mode all the time.



Several people asked me how I feel about my final rural home stays. Right now I am glad to be done and be back home. However, I think I will look back on my times in Soroti and Kapchorwa with fondness and nostalgia in the future. Since I can't process every last thing in the moment, I will have to be able to look back with appreciation.

The following is a quote I first read when I was studying abroad in Kenya (12 years ago), and it has stayed with me. Enjoy the quote and the final picture of a small lizard I may never see again (also, all picture credits to Rachel):

You couldn't bear the thought of seeing things for the last time, and things included all that had become a part of your affection and anger, or even the vague feelings which you couldn't corner or define. Things included people, objects and situations. Whether you were glad or sorry to be rid of them you couldn't bear the thought of seeing them for the last time.
- from In the Castle of my Skin by George Lamming


No comments:

Post a Comment