Peggy sent me the writing below about transition and I asked her if I could post it, and she graciously agreed. Enjoy reading a thoughtful perspective that we could all learn from on how to transition well!
Traveling by Raft in the Twenty-First Century
Most people don’t believe me when I tell them I traveled on a raft from the Source of the Nile in Jinja, Uganda to the source of the Ohio River in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. But I did, and I commend your building such a raft if you are contemplating a major transition in your life.
As we were packing up to leave Uganda Christian University after 10 years (2000-2010) as missionaries, a German visitor who had made a similar transition shared a simple diagram from Interaction International using the acronym “RAFT.”
“R” stands for Reconciliation. Do not leave without doing all in your power to be reconciled to anyone you have had conflicts with during your stay. For me this included emailing a missionary back in the U.S. whom I felt I had let down; and inviting a helper who had betrayed our trust to a farewell lunch.
“A” is for Affirmation of the place where you have been living. In my journal are entries like these: “African violets the size of lilac bushes; lively Sunday worship with over 500 Ugandan university students; exposure to a culture where people take priority over things…”
“F” for Farewells, not neglecting these in the busyness of packing or in fear of the emotions they would call up. My husband and I were guests of honor at many farewell events, from big ones to smaller parties hosted by groups like the Literature Department, where I taught occasional courses. The latter gave me one of my favorite gifts: a carved wooden map of Africa with a poem and my students’ names taped to the back.
Finally, the “T” of “Think Destination,” which I shortened to “Think ahead,” helped balance the sadness of leave-taking with hopes for the future like better access to our stateside children and friends and a return to the particular beauties of the other three seasons (Uganda being “perpetual summer”)…
After I pulled my raft up on the banks of the Ohio River where I live near Pittsburgh, I climbed off and began a new/old life here in the house where we brought up our children. Despite the advantages of flying on a 747 with inflight movies and reclinable seats, I commend embarking on a handmade RAFT for the emotional and spiritual part of any journey where you are moving from one home and ministry to another.
No comments:
Post a Comment