Sunday, February 24, 2013

I ♥ Musical Theater

The past 3 weekends I have been to 3 musicals- a show at a community theater in Wilmington, one on Broadway and one at a middle school where a friend teaches.  While very different shows and professional levels I loved all of them- because I love musical theater.  Growing up we would listen to musicals on long car rides, go to them as a family for a special event and we participated in community theater and school plays.  All this led to a great enjoyment of the singing, dancing and general over-the-top spectacle of musicals.   Returning from Uganda this was something I was excited about enjoying in the States- while Uganda has plenty of it's own music and culture, there is nothing quite like musical theater (except perhaps a British pantomime every Christmas).  

I started off strong by seeing two shows in England, Jersey Boys and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Jersey Boys in London

Both shows were really well done, and seeing a show about New Jersey in England was pretty great.  Fairly soon after being back in the States I got to meet up with Abby in New York and see Evita on Broadway.

Evita in NYC
Ricky Martin played the lead and was fabulous!  It was the first time I had ever seen the show and loved sharing the experience with Abby.  My next travels were to Prince Edward Island where my mom and I saw Anne of Green Gables (yes, a musical) and the play On Golden Pond.

Anne of Green Gables in Prince Edward Island

There was even a song in Anne called Kindred Spirits- while a tourist attraction for sure, it was a fun one and very appropriate for the trip.  After my travels of the summer it has been fun to see more "local" shows.  In September my mom and I saw Next to Normal, a different kind of musical with rock songs and about mental illness, very well done by a smaller theater.

Next to Normal at the Arden Theater in Philadelphia

Then for Christmas I got my parents tickets to Catch Me if You Can in Philadelphia, based on the movie of the same name.  Lots of good songs and singing and dancing.

Catch Me if You Can at the Academy of Music.

Then a few weekends ago I went to a local theater group in Wilmington for the first time who put on Ragtime- a very ambitious play and they totally pulled it off!  I am looking forward to going back there in the future.

Ragtime in Wilmington

Lastly,  Mama Mia last weekend (picture in the previous post) and Oliver yesterday.  Coming up are hopefully Memphis and Into the Woods, both in Wilmington.  Thats a lot of musicals!  I don't know if I'll keep up this pace but for now I am enjoying this aspect of life in the States.  

2 comments:

  1. I've been fortunate enough to be part of many of these theater excursions. I love musical theater too and I love experiencing it with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think YOU should join your local community theater Gwyn, get back into it! :)

    ReplyDelete