Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A visit with a friend

Over the weekend I went to New York City to visit Annie.  Annie was an intern in Uganda for one of the first years I was there so it was pretty exciting to get to see each other and catch up!  The fact that she lives in NYC is an added bonus.  We got to talk so much about Uganda, life since then and current jobs, while also doing some pretty fun stuff.  I told Annie at the end of the weekend that it was so refreshing for me to be able to talk about Uganda all the time.  And with someone I knew was interested! Here are a few pictures from my quick trip: 

Arriving, getting Starbucks and waiting in line for theater tickets

Getting to see Mama Mia, a very fun show

Visiting The Strand bookstore, 18 miles of books!  (I bought only one)

A restaurant that serves only macaroni and cheese- yum

View of the Brooklyn Bridge and beyond

At the new World Trade Center site, 40th floor
On my train ride home I felt very grateful for all the different friends I got to know in Uganda.  Living in Uganda it sometimes felt like there were so many people in and out all the time- new students, new interns, other staff, visitors.  But one of the good things about it has been that so many people who shared my experience are now in the States.  I am hoping I can continue to visit with those friends as those shared memories help to connect my current life and Uganda!

No comments:

Post a Comment