Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Why Africa?

When I tell people about living in Uganda they will usually ask, "But why did you want to move to Africa?"  Usually I respond by saying something like, "Well, I studied abroad in Kenya when I was in college and always wanted to go back."  That usually satisfies most people's curiosity and then come the typical follow-up questions: what did you eat there? did you see lions? were you safe? (answers: food, yes and yes.)

Really the answer to the Why Africa? question is more complex than that.  When I started college I knew I wanted to study abroad and looking through Gordon's academic handbook they listed about 12 options.  One of them was Daystar University in Kenya and it seemed like the most "out there".  Most people study abroad in Europe and I wanted to do something different.  I remember working on the application freshman year and then getting ready to go to Kenya sophomore year of college, feeling nervous and excited.  That semester is what made me want to go back.  While the semester had it's ups and downs I felt connected there and appreciated the pace of life, hospitality and culture.  A few (somewhat blurry) pictures from those 4 months:

Soon after my arrival in Kenya- I was wearing shorts!  Not totally clued in yet but happy to be there.

Laundry in the Daystar courtyard
Had to put this one in for Eddie and Lisa!

So when it came time to do an internship for graduate school I was set on going back to Africa.  Through lots of searching and convincing on my part, I ended up in Durban, South Africa.  Obviously it is a whole different country and place than Kenya so there was a lot to learn and adjust to there, but I still felt that connection.

At a Habitat build in Johannesburg

Dancing with the now president of South Africa (then VP)! - I am on the far left with the long hair

After being in South Africa and finishing graduate school I started looking for jobs overseas.  But I either didn't have the experience or language needed, and ended up job searching for about 6 months before taking a job in the States.  A few years later when the Uganda job came up it felt like the right timing, and I still felt that desire to move there.  

My first week in Uganda

So, now the question is- will I ever go back?  To visit? I say definitely yes.  To live there again? Maybe, not in the immediate future but who knows?  Right now,  I am glad I have spent so much of my life in different parts of Africa and think I am only richer for it.

1 comment:

  1. Good answers to Grandma's question: "Aren't there any jobs in the USA? Why go to Africa??"

    ReplyDelete