Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Material World

I was thinking recently about the various things I've been able to enjoy since being back in the States.  As I've talked about on this blog, I was grateful for the simpler and slower pace of life in Uganda which is different than the general pace of life in the States.  I think part of that simplicity was due to lack of options for entertainment, shopping, etc.  However, I have to admit that there are some very material things I have enjoyed since moving back.  Sometimes the options seem overwhelming but here are a few material things I've appreciated:

1. The roads and traffic
Having a car and being able to drive on paved, well marked roads has been such a relief.  I did not own a car in Uganda but when I borrowed a car or was a passenger it was a much more stressful experience with potholes, traffic and people walking along the roadside- not to mention boda-bodas.  I would say one down side of living in a city in the States is the on-street parking but my parallel parking skills have definitely improved!

A foggy morning in Wilmington

2. Access to books and magazines
Since I love to read I have really appreciated being able to go to bookstores, look at books and buy any book I want.  Also being able to borrow books from friends and family so easily has been fun.  I went to Barnes and Noble one night this past week and had a great time walking around checking out the many, many books.  I also started subscribing to a few magazines and have realized how great it is to read a magazine while it is actually current, instead of months later when someone sends it to you.

Recent Christmas gifts and purchases

Current issues of my magazine subscriptions

3. Food options
This is probably the biggest immediate enjoyment- access to so many foods all the time, with nice restaurants and grocery stores.  In Mukono there were grocery stores but I made many trips to Kampala to somewhat nicer shops, but even then not everything was available.  This weekend I went to Trader Joe's and the selection and treats is amazing!  I also went out for a really nice lunch and the service, options and presentation were great.  In Kampala a nice meal out was such a treat, so I am still finding that balance of not having treats all the time!

Delicious meal at Terrain in Glen Mills

Some Trader Joe's treats

4. Coffe shops
There are a couple of coffee shops within walking distance of where I live and I just like the atmosphere and of course, the hot drinks.  It is nice to be able to meet a friend at a low-key place or sit and use the computer while drinking a tea.  Again, Mukono doesn't really have any place like that (yet!) so having a few close by seems luxurious.

One of the local coffee shops (and my most frequented!)

5. Phone upgrade
When I started my new job they gave me an iphone.  Lets just say the change from my Ugandan and pay-as-you-go Stateside phone was a pretty big leap.  I kind of scoffed about "smart phones" before but of course now I use mine all the time to look things up, check my email, get directions, etc.  It would be hard to go back!

The phone upgrade

So that is a small summary of things I've been appreciating the past 6 months or so.  I think some of the novelty is starting to wear off, and I also want to find the right balance of enjoying some of these things within reason.  

No comments:

Post a Comment