Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Winter Reflections

For the first time in 5 years I am experiencing a full winter season.  Even though it is technically not winter yet (but soon!) and I have been in the States for Christmases, it has a different feel to it.  Mostly because I am trying to figure out my normal life now that the weather has changed, and the changes that brings to routines.  There are fun and not fun things about cold weather I am realizing, so I made a few lists below on my winter thoughts so far...


Things I like (so far) about being back for winter:
1. Getting to go to holiday events and fun things for the whole season (example: the first picture is from Longwood Gardens which I visited last week)
2. Hot drinks multiple times a day!  Everyone enjoying hot drinks at my house this weekend (Also notice my cute tree)



3. Having a real reason to wear cozy sweaters and sweatshirts.  
4. Not trying to cram in so much socializing in a short 2 week visit (like my Christmas trips the past 4 years), but enjoying various get togethers with people over time.
5. Cooking meals made for cold days, this weekend Meg and I made a big meal in the crockpot and I have been eating lots of soup.

Things I am not enjoying or dreading about winter:
1. When my car is frosted over in the early morning when I am leaving for work.  Some tools I bought last weekend to help me with that (along with some stray one needles):



2. Potential icy sidewalks and roads.
3. When it gets dark around 4pm.
4. The lack of green- most of the leaves are off the trees and in some places it looks pretty stark.
5. Missing a few of the Uganda Christmas traditions like the UCU Christmas concert with very lively singing!

I'm sure I will encounter more things that I like or dislike as winter rolls along!  Right now, I am enjoying all the Christmas lights and decor especially.  Meg visited this weekend and we did a few Christmas events, a picture in front of one decorative tree:


I am anticipating that January and February could feel like long, cold months so trying to plan some fun things to look forward to.  For now, I will not hurry December along!

No comments:

Post a Comment