Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Walk in the Park?


This morning I took a walk in the park near my house.  All the pictures are from this morning- it is really looking and feeling like fall!  The above picture was probably the most spectacular tree.  

I was thinking about the past months and how so much has happened- in a lot of ways my transition from Uganda has been somewhat easy- getting a job quickly, finding a place to live, having some transition time, getting to be near friends and family.  I was also thinking, though, how it has still been overwhelming and tiring- so many decisions to make and things to learn.  It feels like I am still figuring out my new life in many ways.  

The "steps to repatriation" I posted about a month ago also came with some steps for surviving to thriving in repatriating.  I posted them below (originally from the site expatwomen.com) and thought I would write after each one how I think I am doing on that step (my thoughts are in orange)...

From Surviving To Thriving

Here are my five tips to help move you from surviving to thriving as a repatriate:


1.
Follow Your Joy. If there was ever a time to take care of yourself, it is now. Each day, ask yourself what will bring you joy and do it. Your joy path shall be sacred and nothing shall hinder you from fulfilling it each day. It can be as simple as spending five quiet moments in silence, taking a walk or calling a friend, but you must set aside time for this as a non-negotiable.
I have been trying to do these things- even the things they suggest: talking to friends, taking a walk (like today!), having some silence.  It is sometimes hard to know how to fit these things in with the responsibilities of work and life but it is good to be reminded.  I have still been reading a lot, especially before bed, so that has been a carry over from my Uganda life.

2.
Pace of Grace. Maintain a pace that is sustainable as you acclimate to your new surroundings. Do not go chasing after the wind. You may have an unlimited number of choices for entertainment and activities, but withhold from signing up for everything until you have your bearings secure. Be an observer while you settle-in. Rest. Be easy on yourself and on others in your family.
This seems to relate to #1, and it is interesting because this is what I always told students in debrief- give yourself and others some grace.  Some things I have just put off- such as changing my state residency- until I feel more settled, and some things I have said no to, but discerning the necessary from the filler can be hard.  And it is so true about choices for entertainment, that is fun but also overwhelming!  I do sometimes miss how special things could be in Uganda- a specific food or activity could be such a treat where here things are available all the time.  I would say this one is probably a constant process.


3.
Refuge. Regardless of whether you are single or have a family, you need to have a refuge to return to. Create a sacred center within the context of a physical or emotional/spiritual place to be your refuge or resting place.
Getting my own place pretty quickly has helped with this one.  Since work is full of wall to wall people all the time, I really appreciate having a "refuge" to come home to.  

4.
Make Local Connections. A clever strategy whether you move home or abroad, is to always befriend at least one local person, find one local place and find one local activity where you can connect locally to help you during your first year. Focus on finding at least one of each when you repatriate: you can always add more later.
This one I am working on- I have found my favorite coffee shop, a church within walking distance and joined a Bible study.  I am still getting to know both Wilmington and the town where I work, and mostly enjoying that process.  It is a lot of new people, though, and a lot of names and stories to learn.


5.
One Year. Prepare yourself. lf for at least a one-year adjustment period. It may take longer, but the one-year mark is a good opportunity to reevaluate what else you might need to make your new home, truly feel like home.
Good to know!  Right now it feels like I should be all settled but it is helpful to be reminded that I'll be experiencing new things all year long.


4 comments:

  1. This is really helpful. May I repost it onto my blog?! Sounds as though you are making great progress with settling in. So glad. Lots of love, Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - not with your personal comments in, of course... Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie, of course please use them! Have really been enjoying your blog also and the "2nd year" reflections.

    ReplyDelete