It has already been the new year in Uganda for about 9 hours but just turned 2012 on the East Coast of the US. I woke up earlier than I expected this morning (jet lag) so have had some time to think about what 2012 might hold.
I arrived back in Uganda late the night of the 30th after a great two weeks in the States. It was funny to think of this as my last vacation to the States, the next time I go I will be moving there. Arriving back in Entebbe on Friday night I was struck by the feel of Uganda- leaving a cold, dry Pennsylvania winter and arriving to a warm, humid night that felt so moist you could almost touch it. While I was going through immigration, getting my baggage and sitting through the dark drive back to Mukono I kept thinking- this is my last time to return. I think throughout this next 5 months my feelings will be mixed- enjoying and knowing I will miss Uganda, and anticipating an exciting change.
This morning I have been thinking about how to balance those mixed emotions. How do I appreciate these "lasts" in Uganda and be present here, while also looking forward? I don't want to wish away this time but also want to be prepared for a move to the States. I am not sure there are any right answers for these thoughts, I know that I'll be thinking about them often.
Tomorrow I start work again and our students (44 of them!) arrive on Friday. Today I'll finish unpacking and see friends. I'll also reflect on and be grateful for my Christmas trip, the time I was able to have with family and friends, and all the Stateside fun. I'll leave you with a few final pictures from my trip. Happy new year to all!

No comments:
Post a Comment