Saturday, November 26, 2011

Ugandan Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Hopefully you have enjoyed a long weekend of cool weather, good food and family. Thanksgiving is a time I miss America because the holiday is so uniquely American. Canadians have Thanksgiving but in October, and for us it is the start of the holiday season, a 4 day weekend and a time to be with family (and maybe shopping if that is your thing). My last American Thanksgiving was 4 years ago, here is a picture from that day:

At this point I did not know I'd be moving to Uganda 6 weeks later but was in the interview process. Things for my family have changed since this celebration- now there are two more family members, my parents no longer live in this house, various events and experiences have passed.

In Uganda the 4th Thursday in November is just a regular work day. This should be obvious since this is an American holiday, but it is always kind of surprising to me that most people's lives go on as normal, knowing that in the US life changes rhythms for a weekend.

Our program, which has American staff and students, always celebrate with a big meal to honor the day, this year about 45 of us gathered together. It has become part of the annual routine to have students be in charge of desserts and they come and cook in the staff's kitchens. Here is some baking action in progress:

These cinnamon rolls were amazing!

Lots of activity in my kitchen.

Students were baking at my house from about 9am-2pm that day and then the meal happened after 4pm. It went well with mostly the traditional foods, adapted for Uganda and a large crowd. Unlike the US, we ate outside (in between rain showers) and ended the celebration at dark. A picture of the serving line:


One thing that made this Thanksgiving more special for me was a visit from my friend Christi, who lives in Rwanda! She was able to come for 3 days and be a part of Thanksgiving in Uganda, which made it more special. Christi and I:

Thanksgiving is one of my more "homesick" times for the US and my family. I remember my first year I was especially sad, thinking about everyone celebrating together. Now I look forward to Thanksgiving in the US next year, but I am sure will look back on my Ugandan Thanksgivings and be thankful for the experience and the uniqueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment