Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Simple Life

Simplicity brings joy and balance...Simplicity is an inward reality that results in an outward lifestyle. -Richard Foster

I have been thinking a lot about living simply lately. Partly, I have been reading the book Celebration of Discipline (where I got the quote above) which talks about simplicity of life and spirit. Also, our students have been studying poverty and simple living, so there have been lots of conversations with them. Lastly, Uganda lends itself to living simply and I've been reflecting on how to make it a life-long pursuit.


My life in Uganda has aspects of simplicty that I have chosen and others I have not. I don't have a car, my water is solar heated, I don't have a lot of opportunities for entertainment so spend time at home or with people on campus. I read a lot, enjoy the natural beauty, walk to work, don't have electricity all the time and cook using pretty basic ingredients. Living in Africa has naturally lent itself to some of these things, and I appreciate how my life is not cluttered with choices and endless options.

Tomorrow I leave for our program's rural home stays, the essence of simple living. The pictures in the post are some of the places and activties we'll be doing- riding along a dusty road together, being around Margaret's home, cooking over a charcoal stove, and hiking. There will be no electricity, bucket bathing, dark nights and open days. After these trips I am always excited to get back to my house and some of the things I have missed, it makes me appreciate some of the things I enjoy in my daily life. My question is always how to find the right balance- appreciating possessions, place or food, while not letting them be controlling or more important than people or God. Going to a rural area always reminds me of this, and the choices I have that many do not.


I will be gone for 10 days and I know I will both enjoy the time and be happy to be home. And maybe that is the point? To be content where you are and make intentional decisions about what you have. It would be easy if simple living looked the same to everybody, and we all felt peace about our actions, possessions and inner life. I know, though, that it is an ongoing pursuit through prayer, action and community that I hope I can keep living towards.


1 comment:

  1. I know that Iowa isn't anything like Uganda, but Austin and I have enjoyed moving to rural Iowa. We've eliminated so many choices from our lives. We've cut down on spending/traffic/materialism/busyness/etc. I enjoy the slower pace of life, too. Especially in the town where I work. It's only 600 people, 1 gas station and no stop lights. :)

    ReplyDelete