Right now I am in the Amsterdam airport. I am halfway through my travel from Uganda to the States (specifically Newark airport). I am sitting in the Starbucks in Terminal E slowly sipping a soy chai latte, a special treat for sure. Here is the view to my left:
And here is the view to my right:
Airports are such transitional kinds of places. Everyone going different places, monitors announcing departures for places from Europe to Asia to the Middle East. And everyone is just waiting, whether sprawled out on uncomfortable chairs trying to get some sleep, passing the time by eating or using the limited free internet. All of us waiting to move on to the next place.
Two years ago I extended my layover in Amsterdam to get to spend a few days in the actual city, not the airport. I loved it, it is such a beautiful, walkable city- I would definitely recommend it to anyone for the canals, museums and food. Here is a picture I took during my visit in 2009:
I think of Amsterdam as an in between place- never staying but a necessary stop. It is a good stopover in the sense that it helps transition to either place- foreign but sill familiar. Going towards the States, like this trip, it reminds me of things like drinking fountains, automatic toilets, and an abundance of choices. When going back towards Uganda it reminds me I will be a foreigner, with money that is unfamiliar and languages I don't know.
Now I wait a few more hours before getting on my 2nd flight and flying towards the US for what will surely be a fun and full visit.
Hope you arrive home safely! Enjoy meeting Brady & seeing everyone else!
ReplyDelete