I head back to Uganda in one week which means this coming week will be full of sorting, final purchases and weighing luggage. One skill I have developed living overseas is packing. A few reasons I have become a great packer: 1) We only allow our students to carry small bags on trips of up to 10 days, so I try to do the same. I can get 10 days of stuff in to a carry-on size bag plus maybe a purse for paperwork, etc. The picture to the right is of Adeline and I after a long weekend trip but with some of our trusty bags. (Photo credit to Lisa Tokpa!). 2) Flying internationally limits the weight and space of stuff you can carry so everything is carefully considered- no hardback books, nothing too breakable (although occasionally I try and am then disappointed), a balance of soft and sharp items and getting it all in under 70 pounds a bag (yeah, frequent flier allowance). 3) It is just easier to carry less stuff when traveling. The more time spent traveling the more this truth is driven home. Now I only use travel size items when traveling with students and will bring stuff to wash clothes if needed, rather than bring extra clothes. One of my best accomplishments so far was bringing only 2 carry-on pieces for my trip to Morocco and 2 months in the States this summer- major packing success!


There are always things from the States that I want to take to Uganda, items people are asking me to take or bring for them plus essentials like clothes that go back and forth. It might be hard for people to picture what I could possibly be bringing to Uganda all the time so here is a picture of my current packing process:

You'll see chocolate chips, magazines, movies, other food items, various drink mixes, specific toiletries- all things that are difficult or impossible to find in Uganda. Some of the odder things I have packed are curtains (made by my wonderful sister-in-law), decorations for a friend's wedding in Uganda, 50 pounds of books for the program and on my first trip, a diabetes prick kit to use for malaria tests.
One big change in my packing this time will be a very new purchase:
Yes, a Kindle (and it's cool carrying case). This will definitely change my book load, usually I have packed 10-20 books per trip so that will help!
With the physical act of packing comes the realization that I am leaving a place. It is one of the coming and going moments that feels very concrete- saying goodbye to friends and family in the States, 24 hours of airports and planes, and arriving in Uganda to my home, friends and work there. It is a strange and quick change from one place to another, both places now feeling familiar. It helps to know what to expect on both ends but doesn't make it easier to leave either place.
So now, back to packing. Any things you usually pack or ways you prepare yourself for a big trip?
I'm always impressed by your packing skills Gwyn :) I'm also always shocked at all the stuff you bring back for people from the States. But I know that is pretty typical when living overseas. yay for the Kindle (and the awesome case from Etsy)
ReplyDeleteYeah, Kindle! So glad you did it...you are one person in the world who reads enough to justify the purchase:)
ReplyDelete